The Engineering Technician provides technical support to the Engineering Department system by conducting inspections, reviewing submissions, designing extensions and improvements to electrical system infrastructure, resolving technical issues with the guidance from department engineers, utilizing and supporting the maintenance of systems and databases for system operation.
The Engineering Technician is distinguished by the ability to perform electrical engineering designs, perform job estimates, and solve complex problems using industry specific software under the general direction of a registered professional engineer.
- Reviews commercial and residential development plans prepared by others; resolves technical issues during planning and construction in accordance with applicable codes, practices, procedures, and safety regulations.
- Reviews commercial and residential development plans to design electrical infrastructure and make systems improvements.
- Responds to residential and commercial customer inquiries and concerns.
- Resolves internal company technical issues in accordance with applicable codes and safety regulations; interacts with other departments and external agencies and organizations when required to accomplish duties.
- Performs mathematical calculations related to electrical system design including voltage drop, fault current and conductor sizing; researches and writes equipment specifications.
- Utilizes industry specific software to analyze situation and develop project specific and/or company specification recommendations.
- Owns and/or manages development, publication and maintenance of specifications and standards and ensures projects comply with applicable state laws, industry standards and departmental policies.
- Assists in ROW permitting and gathering easement documentation.
- Conducts field inspections to ensure design compliance.
- Monitors contract performance reviews and invoices; forwards to manager for approval for assigned projects.
- Maintains and updates department record keeping systems, both paper and electronic formats including documenting customer electric requests from start through completion.
- Develops, publishes, maintains, and performs checking for standards and material specifications.
- Assists other employees and departments in completion of related duties, as necessary.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies, as needed, to support power restoration activities.
- Designs modifications, extensions, and improvements to underground and overhead electrical distribution systems; ensures all designs comply departmental policies and procedures; obtains necessary easements and ensures easements are recorded.
- Operates engineering software, including system software evaluating electric load, capacities, alternative feeds and conducts other system operation-related studies under the direction of departmental engineers, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ability to use and understand all the computer systems/programs that are required for this position, including possessing knowledge of Microsoft, AutoCAD, and MS Office Suite; knowledge of GIS is valuable; knowledge of electrical systems and operations, including automated systems such as Automated Meter Infrastructure, SCADA systems and system modeling desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Education and Experience
Associates Degree in engineering, engineering technology or related field and/or a minimum of five years of experience in electrical utilities field work required.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
This position requires the following certifications, licenses, and/or registrations:
Florida Driver's License Class E required. Ability to work flexible hours, as required.